I love these cookies. They are so simple, yet flavorful. The recipe makes a dozen small cookies – but they are packed with so much flavor, one is plenty to assuage the nagging sweet tooth.
Be warned: these go fast, so the cook should definitely sample one (or two) before taking the plate of cookies to the dinner table!
- 1 cup almond meal
- 3 Tablespoons of softened butter, ghee or dairy-free alternative
- gluten-free hazelnut spread (I use the Aldi brand)
- Cut the butter into the flour. Use your fingers to crumble it down into small pieces, if necessary.
- Add a tablespoon of water and start pulling the dough together with your hands.
- The heat from your hands will melt the butter slightly and help the mixture to pull together.
- Add small amounts of water, as needed, to make a dough.
- Once the dough forms, create a dozen balls - about half the size of a golf ball.
- Place on parchment on a baking sheet.
- Press your thumb into the center of each cookie.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes, or until the tops are golden brown.
- Remove from oven.
- The cookies will be soft when hot! They will harden as they cool.
- Once cool, add about half a teaspoon of gluten-free hazelnut spread into the center.