I love the smell of banana bread as it bakes in the oven.
Doesn’t matter the time of year, the wonderful aroma of bananas and cinnamon fills me with contentment even while it makes me anxious for the first bite of wonderfulness hot out of the oven.
I bake this a lot and tend to put way too much fruit, chocolate chips or nuts in it. When I do that, it falls apart – especially the gluten-free versions. Gluten-free flours simply do not adhere the same way as the high gluten flours I used growing up. (Gosh what those did to my body!!!)
The version pictured has both blueberries AND chocolate chips – a heavy handful of each. One or the other would have been plenty. For this recipe, I recommend only using about 1/4 cup of optional additions, so the bread stays firm.
What makes this recipe special is I have replaced my dried cinnamon with Young Living’s Cinnamon Bark Vitality essential oil.
Oh. My. Goodness.
The taste is amazing! You only need one drop per banana bread loaf, this stuff is so intense! I was trying to get a photo of the drops into the sunflower oil and accidentally got THREE drops in.
Oh boy. I tasted that! And it was gooooooodddd!!!! But intense. So watch your drops and start with one to see how your taste buds like it.
Fun fact: Research indicates cinnamon can lower blood sugar and reduce inflammation. It is also being tested for its impact on HIV.
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1/4 cup flax/chia
- 1/4 cup sunflower oil
- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar (I use blonde variety)
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 3 bananas
- 1 drop Cinnamonbark essential oil
- handful of chocolate chips, blueberries, or nuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix the dry ingredients - except for coconut sugar - and set aside.
- Mash bananas. Blend in the eggs.
- Mix the Cinnamon Bark essential oil with the sunflower and coconut oils and vanilla. Add these wet ingredients to the banana and egg mixture.
- Add the coconut sugar to the wet ingredients and stir until combined and no lumps.
- Combine the wet and drug ingredients until just combined.
- Bake 45 minutes to 1 hour until done in the middle.