So you want to be an author. You have a wonderful novel that you have written. Your heart and soul went into this work. It is unique. You have been told it is quite good. So what is next?
You have to sell your novel to the world! This is the hard part. Writing the book was the easy part.
When I wrote my novel, <i>Evolution of a Sad Woman</i>, I was on top of the world. I thought everyone would find out about my novel and want to read it. My publisher had it listed on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Buy.com, Tower, Target, Hastings and everywhere worldwide. So I was all set.
My novel was listed with all the other millions and millions of books. So it was just a little straw in a large pile of hay.
In the world today, an author must get attention for the book they have just written. You must draw attention to yourself. How do you do that?
My father who worked in sales his whole life once taught me a very valuable lesson. People buy from people they know. They must feel comfortable with you before they will buy from you. They must like you. It is no different for an author.
Readers must know you. Here are some tips to help you with your mission.
- People want to know about you. Get on every social media network you can. Join Twitter, Facebook, Authorsden, Goodreads, Shoutlife, myspace, YouTube and any other one you can find. Know that this will take time.
- Participate with the media networks listed above. Share little things about yourself. You do not have to get really personal if you do not wish. But they must get to know you.
- Tell them about your novel. Tell them about your writing experiences. It can actually be fun. You can make some wonderful, new friends.
- Plan a small book tour for yourself. Visit local bookstores first. Meet with the Book Manager. Tell them about your novel. Give them a copy to read. If they like your novel, they may be willing to host a book signing. Make sure to include a biography. Remember you must sell yourself first. Do remember they are busy people. Visit with them when it is convenient for them.
- Plan a virtual blog book tour. There are wonderful companies who can do this for you. You either can find a company or have your publisher find one for you. These companies can find the appropriate blogs for you book genre, set up the blog tour stops, help you decide what to write for the post and arrange stops at radio stations. Reviewers can also be arranged for you. You will have to write some, so be prepared.
- Always conduct yourself in a professional manner. Proofreading everything you write is a must. Look for errors.
- Always have business cards with information about your novel with you. You can give them out in restaurants, stores, waiting in offices or long lines. Do not just walk around handing them out. Strike up a conversation with someone. When – or if – the conversations get around to your novel, give them a card.
- Always smile. People love to be around people who smile. Make their day better with your smile.
- Have a launch party. My launch party was hosted in another town from my residence. A very nice art gallery was kind enough to host mine for me. Invite people and invite the media.
- Send out news releases to newspapers, magazines, radio and television personalities. Always include a biography. They must know you also. Sell yourself and you may sell some books.
- Organize your time every day. Plan how long you will spend marketing your book either on the Internet or in person.
Remember that you are selling yourself first. Once people – whether on the Internet or in the local bookstore – feel they know you and like you, they will want to buy your book.
Smile and keep it fun!
About the author
Gale Laure is known for her informal Southern style of writing. Books written by Gale Laure include her current debut, mystery,suspense, thriller romance, Evolution of a Sad Woman. It is selling as an e-book, Kindle and as a trade softcover paperback internationally.
For more information about Gale Laure visit www.galelaure.com (website), www.evolutionofasadwoman.com (blog) or the following: www.twitter.com/wwwgalelaurecom , www.facebook.com/Author.GaleLaure , www.authorsden.com/galelaure , www.goodreads.com/galelaureauthor , www.myspace.com/galelaure-author .0