I had to chuckle to myself when I read randfish's post The 12 Skills That Have Served Me Best in My SEO Career.
He was told for years that SEO was nothing – that he was barking up the wrong career tree and would regret spending his time on SEO. But like an author with an manuscript he was passionate about – and hundreds of rejection letters – he stuck with it and now has resounding success.
Many of these skills correlate to authors. Seriously, take a look a few:
- Being a Stubborn Jackass
- A Thick Skin
- Proficiency in Written Communication
And if you take these and insert writing terms, they, too, apply to authors:
- Empathy with the Perspectives of Search Engineers (Empathy with fellow authors)
- A Solid Background in HTML (Solid background in writing and dreaming)
- An Ability to Find Common Ground when Meeting People
- Strong Memory for Relevant Data (Strong memory for stories and characters you love)
- Illustration & Diagraming Skills (Plotting)
Be sure to check out the post. It is really terrific and reminds you that authors aren't the only ones who have to forge ahead despite setbacks and disbelief from others. Keep dreaming and believing, and you WILL succeed!0